For some people, a car is simply a mode of transportation that they use, whereas many other people treat their cars as a prized possession. For them, their car should always be super clean and fitted with the best. There are many things that people like to invest in for their cars, and that is décor. But, there is one thing that simply increases the value of the drive almost immediately, which is the sound system.
Good sound systems mean you can crank up some great beats while taking a long drive or on a road trip. A good sound system for cars has three components: radio/music player, car amplifier, and speakers. Music players and speakers are something that most cars come with. But, if you want to listen to your music loud, then amplifiers are something you will have to spend your money on.
About car amplifiers
These are part of the sound systems that are installed between the radio and speakers. As the word itself explains, amplifiers are the ones that increase the power of the sound waves. Therefore, they are used to amplify the power and the sound of the music delivered by the radio and then by the speakers. The amplifier on one end is connected to the radio, which is the input source of the sound, and on the other end, it is connected to the output source that is the speakers.
Three reasons make amplifiers the must-haves for the upgraded and custom sound systems in the cars:
- Speaker: If you have added new and upgraded speakers to the car sound system, then the simple stereo is not enough to justify the enhanced speakers. An amplifier will add more power, which then will be heard best through upgraded speakers.
- Subwoofers: If you have subwoofers added to your speaker system, you should add an amplifier as well. To get the most of the subwoofers, you need to provide extra power through an amplifier.
- Soundquality: Lastly, if you want the best sound quality to come through your speakers, you should invest in an amplifier. An amplifier will enhance the frequencies and notes in the music and will make the volumes more clear.
Now, let’s see what are the best car amplifiers that you can pick for your next upgrade?
|Rockford Fosgate car amplifier||JL Audio RMS monoblock car amplifier||Alpine 4-channel car amplifier||Kenwood monoblock class D car amplifier||Rockford Fosgate Prime 1 monoblock amplifier|
|Weight||5 pounds||6 pounds||4.6 pounds||7 pounds||7.12 pounds|
|Dimensions||14.5 inches x 10.3 inches x 5.3 inches||13.1 inches x 8.7 inches x 3.8 inches||12.9 inches x 9 inches x 4.3 inches||15.3 inches x 4.8 inches x 10.2 inches||13.8 inches x 9.3 inches x 4 inches|
|RMS||250 watts||1000 watts||300 watts||2000 watts||1200 watts|
|Channels||4 channel||5 channel||4 channel||1 channel||1 channel|
#1. Rockford Fosgate R2-250X1 car amplifier
This is the best package you can get when it comes to a car amplifier. It is within budget and has the best features that you could want. This will make the car’s sound system complete and will enhance the car’s overall value.
- Compatible: This amplifier is compatible with all types of stereo systems, regardless of whether they are after-market or factory-made.
- Power output: The RMS of the amplifier is 150 watts at 2 ohms and 250 watts at 1 ohm.
- Crossover: It supports onboard HP/LP/AP crossover at 12dB.
- Control panel: The panel is on top of the amplifier, making it easier to use and set settings.
- EQ: With this amplifier, there is a punch EQ, which allows the sound to go deep and high with an 18dB boost.
- High-end sound quality
- Aluminum heat sink
- Punch EQ with 18dB boost
- Too small
- Installing is a bit tricky
#2. JL Audio RMS monoblock car amplifier
This small class-D amplifier is petite but packs a lot of power, making it perfect for high-quality sound output. It may sound slightly pricey, but if you want the best for your car, this amplifier is the perfect pick.
- Design: The amplifier’s design is sleek and petite, so it fits perfectly in small areas and is good for small cars.
- Power: It gives RMS of 500 watts for 2 ohms and 1000 watts for 1 ohm, which will make the sound loud and clear.
- MOSFET: This amplifier comes with a MOSFET power supply, which makes the supply stable.
- Bass boosting: The amplifier’s bass boost is variable, and at 45 Hz, it gives a boost of 12dB.
- Powerful sound
- Comes with low pass filter
- No distracting lights
- Expensive amplifier
- The remote control does not come with the package
#3. Alpine 4-channel car amplifier
This amplifier is for all those who are looking for high volume and crispness in the sound. This amplifier distributes the power in every speaker evenly, thus making the sound flow from all directions equally. It is compact and is compatible with almost every other speaker out there.
- Compact: This amplifier is small, so it’s perfect for those cars which have less space inside.
- Crossover frequency: With this amplifier, the lower frequency of 50-400 Hz will be diverted to subwoofers and woofers.
- Power: The amplifier’s power output is 300 RMS, which is quite good for a compact amplifier like this.
- Less heat: It has less heat consumption, so it does not pressure the car’s power system.
- It has a large crossover range
- Low total harmonic distortion of 0.3
- Does not give maximum power when connected to a 2-channel system
- Expensive as compared to others
#4. Kenwood monoblock class-D car amplifier
For those looking for detail in their music and some heavy bass, this amplifier is the best pick. It is a reliable amplifier that enhances sound quality and also is powerful enough to give a great performance.
- Compatible: This class-D amplifier is compatible with almost every other sound system and speaker system available.
- Build: The sound system’s build is compact and has aluminum structures, keeping the components safe from the heat.
- Power: The power output of the amplifier is 500 watts at 4 ohms and 100 watts at 2 ohms.
- Variable frequency: This amplifier supports a variable frequency of 50-200 Hz in its low pass filter.
- High sound quality
- Powerful subwoofers
- Durable and compatible design
- The Control panel is not user friendly
- The bass power is not that impressive
#5. Rockford Fosgate Prime-1 monoblock amplifier
This amplifier works with every speaker system and delivers one of the best in market bass quality. Also, it will not only deliver good bass, but also high-quality upper frequencies and notes. One of the best things to enjoy in this amp is that it is user-friendly with simple settings.
- Class-D: This is a class-D amplifier that has an efficient power system, therefore not putting any pressure on the car’s system.
- Power: This amplifier delivers a power of 400 watts for 4 ohms and 1200 watts for 1ohm.
- Power supply: The power supply is MOSFET, along with RCA output and infrasonic filter.
- Punch EQ: The onboard punch EQ allows you to customize your bass level.
- Compact design
- Punch EQ for bass customization
- The sound can have distortion
When all is done and dusted, all that is left is to install the car amp to your vehicle. You need to decide if you will undertake this job yourself or look for an experienced electrician to do the job for you. Car amps are not easy to install. There is a lot of science going on there which can be confusing for an average person with no relevant experience. A professional will charge you some money but will definitely do the job perfectly. If you install the car amp incorrectly you can risk blowing up your speakers or subwoofer. Therefore, it is better to save yourself from the technical jargon and delegate the hob to a hired professional. You will save time and learn some valuable things about amps.
How to choose a car amplifier?
Amplifiers are a must-have if you want a high-performance sound system in your car. Therefore, it is crucial to make a good choice, taking into consideration a few things like:
- Power: The amplifier’s power output should be decided on based on the speaker’s power affinity. You should match the power RMS of the speakers with the RMS of the amplifier.
- Channels: Usually, the amplifier can have varying channels, and you can get confused. But, one thing to keep in mind is the number of speakers and woofers and subwoofers the sound system will have.
- Build: The amplifier should not be too bulky and should not take up a lot of space in the car. Specifically, if you have a small car, it is better to choose a small amplifier. This will not only take up less space, but will also put less stress on the car’s power consumption.
- Price: It depends on what you want to spend. If you are planning to redo the sound system, choosing highly expensive amplifiers and cheap speakers may not give the required results.
Amplifiers are crucial if you want to listen to music at its best while driving on a road trip. You should pay attention to the sound quality so that every high or low note is clear. Also, the bass should be heavy, but also customizable so that you can manage the bass levels. Having the right amplifier will make a perfect experience while listening to music. You should choose amplifiers that are easy to install, have a longer warranty period, and are from a trusted brand among customers.